A recipe that will make over a dozen lunch box sized muffins and freezes perfectly? You’ve got it!
Not too sweet and loaded with dietary fibre, this muffin recipe uses rolled oats and silky buttermilk for a delicious crumb. A wonderful ‘base’ recipe, you could easily add diced fruit, berries, nuts or choc-chips if it’s a little too plain to pass the kid test.
- Makes : 12
- Prep time : 15 mins
- Cooking time : 20 mins
Easy spiced muffins ingredients
- 2 cups traditional rolled oats
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 2 cups plain flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1½ teaspoons nutmeg
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 230g butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla paste
- Combine the rolled oats and buttermilk in a bowl. Let soak at room temperature for 30 minutes. Preheat the oven to 175°C and fill a 12 cup muffin tray with paper liners.
- In a separate bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg.
- Once your oats are nice and gluggy soft, stir in the brown sugar and eggs.
- Add the melted butter and vanilla to oat mixture and stir until combined.
- Add the flour to the oat mixture and stir in until just combined.
- Fill each muffin case two thirds full. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean when inserted into the centre of muffin. Repeat with remaining mixture.
- Muffins are perfect served warm or cold. For the record, you’re going to want to try one warm with a generous helping of salty butter. Trust me.
Browse our recipe section for more great meal ideas and treats to try.