Summer is here and the days are definitely longer. Enjoy the outdoors a little longer in the evening, knowing you can whip this toddler-pleasing pasta dinner up in just 20 minutes.
Sealed with a toddler tick of approval, this pasta dish makes for a perfect quick and light dinner. Build it up with diced pumpkin and garlic or leave as is, it lends itself well to tasty experimentation.
500g bowtie pasta
200g thick cut shredded ham
1 cup of frozen baby peas
2 large shallots, finely sliced
1 cup thickened cream
the zest of one large lemon
2 tbs finely chopped parsley (extra to garnish)
grated fresh Parmesan cheese
olive oil (for frying)
salt and pepper
- Boil your pasta al dente according to the packet. Reserve half a cup of the starchy water. Drain.
- Heat the oil in a medium sized fry pan. Add the shallots and half a teaspoon of salt. Cook, stirring for several minutes until soft – don’t let them brown!
- Add the ham, peas and cream to the pan. Bring to a simmer and let it cook for a few minutes, stirring on occasion until slightly thickened.
- Turn the heat down and stir in the lemon zest and parsley. Add a pinch of pepper and stir.
- Add the drained pasta to the pot and a splash of the reserved water from the pasta pot. Toss through the creamy sauce. Season again if you wish.
Divide between plates and finish off with a sprinkling of extra parsley and freshly grated Parmesan cheese. Delicious – and all in 20 minutes!
Make sure to browse our recipe archives for more great meal ideas and treats to try.