This Pad Thai recipe might have a few more ingredients than you’d usually buy for dinner, but we guarantee it’ll become a family favourite and you’ll make it again and again!
Our version has chicken in it, but you can leave that out if you’d prefer to make a vegetarian version … and perhaps add some chopped broccolini instead?!
Once you’ve got this down pat you can mix the ingredients up to suit your gang. We left the chilli out with kids in mind, but feel free to add some spice if your family are more adventurous eaters.
- Makes : 4
- Prep time : 10 mins
- Cooking time : 6 mins
Simple family-style Pad Thai ingredients
- 200g of dried Pad Thai rice noodles or 500g fresh Pad Thai noodles, cooked according to packaging
- 1 skinless chicken breast, diced
- 4 eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 handfuls of bean sprouts
- ½ cup of fried tofu, diced into 1cm cubes
- 1 onion, sliced finely
- 2 cloves of garlic, crushed
- 3 tablespoons of tamarind concentrate (from Asian grocer)
- 3 tablespoons of brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons of soy sauce
- 3 tablespoons of water
- 3 tablespoons of oil
- 4 spring onions chopped
- ¼ cup of crushed peanuts
- Mix the tamarind concentrate, soy sauce, brown sugar and water together to make the Pad Thai sauce. Set aside.
- In a hot wok, fry the onion in 2 tablespoons of oil until golden. Remove from wok and drain on paper towel.
- Pour 1 tablespoon of oil into the hot wok. (No need to clean it after frying the onion!) When the oil is starting to smoke, add the chicken breast, garlic and the tofu. Fry until the chicken is cooked and turning golden.
- Push the chicken, garlic and tofu mix to the side of wok. Pour in the eggs and cook for a minute or so, until starting to set.
- Throw in the noodles and sauce and fry for a minute or two until nicely coated with sauce and combined. Taste and season with salt and pepper.
- Serve garnished with the fried onions, fresh spring onions and crushed peanuts. You could also add with quarters of fresh lime, chopped chilli and fresh coriander to the grown-ups' serve.
Browse our recipe section for more great meal ideas and treats to try.