Fish fingers is usually a successful way to introduce kids to fish – that crunchy exterior gets them over the line ever so easily – and it’s so simple to make your own using just a handful of ingredients.
Know exactly what every bite of a fish finger contains by making your own. Great value for money (you get a lot more than what you’d get in a box, plus the taste is awesome!) simply choose a firm white fish and you’re on your way. You can even do as I did and choose fillets from the freezer section of the supermarket. Too easy!
- Makes : 10
- Prep time : 10 mins
- Cooking time : 5 mins
Easy and delicious fish fingers ingredients
- 600g Blue grenadier fresh or frozen fillets, defrosted
- 2 eggs
- 100g fresh breadcrumbs
- ½ tbs sweet paprika
- 6 tbs plain flour
- alt and pepper
- oil for shallow frying
- Mix together the flour and paprika in a large bowl. Season well with salt and pepper.
- In a separate bowl, lightly beat the two eggs. In a third bowl, have your breadcrumbs at the ready.
- Set them up in a line so you dip each piece of fish in the flour, the egg and then a gentle roll in the breadcrumbs.
- Heat a glug of oil in a non stick pan over medium heat and add the fish pieces. Cook each side until golden brown. Don’t over crowd the pan, instead cook in two batches.
- Let the fish rest on a bed of paper towel for a minute to drain any excess oil away.
- Serve warm with vegetables or salad – and don’t forget sauce or mayonnaise to dip. Yum!
- Make sure to browse our recipe category for more great meal ideas and treats to try.