- Prep time: 20 minutes
- Cooking time: 30 minutes
Personally, I don’t feel chilli con carne gets enough gold stars in the culinary world. The underdog of the weeknight dinner, this Mexican, spice laced mince dish is perfect as a topping for baked potatoes, served with rice, used for nachos – or my favourite way, laden with sour cream, smashed avocado and scooped with roti bread. That’s four nights of the week taken care of right there! I jest. Kind of.
This recipe makes plenty. Easily enough for a family of five with leftovers – which is great, because firstly this recipe gets better overnight and secondly, there’s just so many ways to use the leftovers, as previously mentioned.
Delicious chilli con carne recipe
- 1kg beef mince
- 400g tin red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 800g tin chopped tomatoes
- 1 carrot, grated
- 1 red capsicum, finely diced
- 2 onions, finely diced
- 2 cloves of garlic, crushed
- ½ – 1 tbs of Masterfoods Mexican Chilli spice
- 1 cup beef stock
- 1/3 cup tomato paste
- 1 avocado
- 2 tsp lime juice
- salt and pepper
- 1 tbs olive oil
- roti bread, grated cheese, coriander, sour cream and lime wedges to serve
- In a large frying pan or stove top casserole pot, heat the oil over medium hight heat. Add the onion, garlic and capsicum. Cook, stirring for around five minutes until onion is soft.
- Add the Masterfoods Mexican Chilli spice. If you’re family isn’t used to eating spicy foods, err on the side of caution by only adding half a tablespoon. You can always add more later if you change your mind. Stir and cook for a minute.
- Add the beef mince, cook for around five minutes or until it starts to brown. Break up clumps of meat with a wooden spoon.
- Add the grated carrot and cook, stirring for another minute.
- To the mince mixture, add the red kidney beans, chopped tomatoes, tomato paste and beef stock. Stir and cook for around 15 minutes on medium heat until the sauce reduces slightly and thickens. Season with salt and pepper.
- Scoop the avocado into a bowl and mash with a fork. Squeeze in two teaspoons of lime juice and season with salt and pepper. Stir and set aside. Warm your roti bread.
- To serve, spoon chilli con carne into bowls, top with grated cheese, sour cream and coriander. Delicious!
Make sure to browse our recipe archives for more great meal ideas and treats to try.