With all the crunch of a not-so-nutritious chip and packed full of natural sweetness, we vote apple chips for a lunch box win!
After a few days of having the very same apple go – and return – from school in my son’s lunch box, I admitted defeat. Gathering these well traveled apples and a mandolin I set about dressing these apples differently for the lunch box – and I’m happy to report they went down a treat!
- Prep time : 10 mins
- Cooking time : 45 mins
Delicious and nutritious apple chips
- 2 - 4 apples (depending on size)
- 1 tablespoon of ground cinnamon
If you don’t have a mandolin, slicing the apples thinly with epic knife skills will do just as well.
- Preheat the oven to 100°C. Prepare two large baking sheets by sprinkling them lightly with ground cinnamon. Do not line or grease the tray.
- Don’t bother with peeling or coring the apples. Simply slice apples around 3mm thick and flick out the seed afterwards – easy! Slice enough apples to cover both trays.
- Lay the apple slices on the tray. Sprinkle again with cinnamon. Bake in the oven for 45 minutes, turning over half way.
- Remove from the oven and let cool on a wire rack where they’ll crisp up nicely. Store in an airtight container.