One of my favourite things to do in the lead up to Christmas is to have some fun in the kitchen with my kids. This Christmas cut-out biscuits recipe is perfect to make with your little helpers and they will also have a ball decorating the biscuits.
You can use whatever type of lollies or icing you like to decorate these Christmas cut-out biscuits, we like to use ‘writing icing’ (which you can get from the baking aisle at the supermarket) along with candy canes and red and green M&M’s.
- Makes : 24
- Prep time : 1 hr
- Cooking time : 12 mins
Christmas cut-out biscuits ingredients
- For the biscuits:
- 185 grams butter – softened
- 1 cup caster sugar
- 1½ tsp vanilla extract
- 2½ cups plain flour
- 1 egg
- 1 egg yolk – extra
- For the decorations:
- Writing icing pens
- Red and green M&M’s
- Mini candy canes
- Place the softened butter, caster sugar and vanilla extract into the bowl of an electric mixer and mix on a medium-high speed for 4 minutes, or until the mixture is pale and creamy.
- Add the flour, egg and extra egg yolk and beat on a low speed until a dough begins to form.
- Transfer the dough to a lightly floured bench and use your hands to bring it together (don’t worry, it will be crumbly) and lightly knead into a smooth ball. Cover in cling wrap and pop into the fridge for 30 minutes to chill.
- Preheat your oven to 180°C fan forced. Roll out dough (thickness of 5mm) between two sheets of baking paper and using your choice of a cookie cutter, cut out shapes and place onto your prepared trays.
- Bake in the oven for 10-12 minutes or until the biscuits begin to turn golden around the edges. Leave the biscuits to cool on the trays for 10 minutes before carefully transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Once completely cool, use the icing and decorations to decorate as desired.
- Once decorated, you can store these biscuits in an airtight container for up to five days.
Find more great ideas for festive cooking and crafts in our Christmas section.