Kids love getting involved in creating treats for friends and family, so baking is a great way to get them into the Christmas spirit (and help them realise that it’s not all about toys!).
Children’s cookery author Annabel Karmel loves the idea of getting kids to help make edible gifts, and this is one of her favourite Christmas treat recipes. Enjoy!
These cake-based delights make the perfect table setting for your festive get-together. Your little ones will love putting their decorating skills to the test.
- Makes : 9
- Prep time : 20 mins
- Cooking time : 25 mins
Chocolate cake Christmas trees ingredients
- For the cake:
- 3 eggs
- 175g self-raising flour
- 150g caster sugar
- 25g cocoa powder
- 175g soft butter
- 50g dark chocolate, melted
- 50g milk chocolate, melted
- 1 tsp baking powder
- For the decorations:
- Writing icing pens
- Candy canes
- Mini Smarties
- Preheat the oven to 160C fan-forced. Line a 24cm x 24cm square tin with parchment paper and grease.
- Measure all cake ingredients into a bowl and mix until smooth with an electric hand whisk.
- Spoon into the tin, and bake for 20 to 25 minutes until springy to the touch (a skewer inserted into the middle of the cake should come out clean). Leave to cool.
- Slice into nine squares and then slice into triangles, then decorate with writing icing pens or piped icing and Mini Smarties. Push short lengths of candy canes into the base of the chocolate triangles to make the tree trunks.
Find more great ideas for festive cooking and crafts in our Christmas section.