A healthy, veggie packed alternative to traditional spaghetti, zoodles are not only super fun to make, they’re super fun to eat!
This bolognese sauce, though not at all difficult to make, takes a little time to cook and reduce. It’s well worth the effort though, and let’s not forget zoodles take all of five minutes to make and cook! Shazam!
If you’re a little equipment-shy, you should know that vegetable spiralisers are readily available to suit all budgets. (I highly recommend my Kmart cheapie!)
500g beef mince
1 large brown onion, diced
3 garlic cloves, crushed
2 large carrots, finely diced
150g diced mushrooms
¼ cup tomato paste
2 400g tins chopped tomato
1 tbs of chicken stock concentrate (or two chicken stock cubes)
1 tbs Worcestershire sauce
1 tsp dried basil
½ tsp dried thyme
1 tsp dried oregano
3 – 4 medium zucchinis, washed
Parmesan cheese and a handful of fresh basil to serve
- Heat a tablespoon of olive oil in a large saucepan and add the mince. Cook until browned, remove and set aside.
- Add the onion to the pan and cook on low to medium heat until soft. Add the garlic, stirring for a minute and then add carrots and mushrooms. Cook, stirring for a few minutes until mushrooms are soft.
- Return the mince to the saucepan, add the tomato paste and Worcestershire, give a quick stir.
- Tip in the tins of tomatoes. Fill one tin with water and add to the saucepan. Add crumbled stock cubes or concentrate, along with dried herbs. Stir together and bring to the boil.
- Once boiling, reduce heat and simmer for an hour or until the sauce has thickened and vegetables are soft. Season with salt and pepper. If your tomatoes were quite acidic, add a sprinkle of sugar to balance the flavour.
- When the bolognese is almost ready, spiralise the zucchini with a spiraliser or mandolin. Alternatively, use a vegetable peeler to create ribbons.
- Using a large frypan, heat a splash of olive oil and cook the zucchini zoodles for just a couple of minutes to soften. Season with salt and pepper, top with bolognese sauce, freshly grated parmesan and fresh basil. Delicious!
Make sure to browse our recipe archives for more great meal ideas and treats to try.