I can’t even begin to tell you how much my kids love puff pastry, so I know these flaky, cheesy lunch box treats will be gobbled up in no time. Three ingredients is all you need and they’re so easy, the kids can even get busy making them!
The perfect savoury treat, Vegemite cheese twists are great to spice up a lunch box – and if your little tacker doesn’t care for Vegemite, no dramas! Swap the Vegemite out for a pizza sauce, a pesto, or even just leave it out altogether.
- Makes : 12
- Prep time : 10 mins
- Cooking time : 15 mins
Vegemite cheese twists ingredients
- 2 square sheets puff pastry, defrosted
- 1 tbsp Vegemite
- 1 cup parmesan cheese, finely grated
- 1 extra tbsp parmesan cheese, finely grated (for topping)
- Preheat the oven to 200°C. Line a baking tray with baking paper.
- Spread one sheet of puff pastry with half the Vegemite and sprinkle on top half the cheese.
- Place the other sheet of puff pastry on top and repeat with the remaining Vegemite and cheese.
- Cut the stack of pastry in half and flip the bottom up on to the top to sandwich the layers together.
- Press the four layers together firmly or roll with a rolling pin.
- Cut the pastry widthways into strips – I’ve made mine about 2.5 centimetres wide so they’re quite chunky. Twist each strip, squeezing the ends together to seal and place on the baking tray.
- Sprinkle the extra parmesan cheese on top of the twists and bake for 15 minutes or until lightly golden in colour.
- Cool on a wire rack – if you can resist sneaking a warm one!
- This recipe makes a dozen chunky 2.5 cm wide pastry twists, but you can certainly cut them thinner to make more – just keep an eye on them in the oven as they may take less time to cook.
- This recipe is super versatile. Try any toppings you like – think pizza sauce, pesto, ham or even cinnamon!
Browse our recipe section for more great meal ideas and treats to try.