For those who want something sweet yet crunchy, all wrapped up in a handy, no mess, muffin case, this banana walnut muffin recipe is for you!
Delicious muffins filled with fruit and topped with nuts, I’m turning a blind eye to sugar and just focusing on the healthy elements here. If it’s a healthier option you’re after, try cutting back the sugar and replacing with honey.
1½ cups plain flour
½ cup sugar
½ cup brown sugar
2 tsp ground cinnamon
½ tsp baking soda
½ tsp salt
½ cup vegetable oil
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 cup mashed banana (3 to 4 bananas)
1/3 cup sour cream
80g packet of walnuts, roughly chopped
- Preheat the oven to 180°C. Line a 12 cup muffin tin with paper muffin liners.
- Slice bananas into a bowl. Mash with the back of a fork and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl mix together the flour, sugars, cinnamon, baking soda and salt.
- In a small bowl or jug, whisk together the oil, egg and vanilla.
- Make a well in the centre of the dry ingredients and pour the oil and egg mix in. Stir until mostly combined.
- Add the banana and sour cream. Mix until completely combined.
- Divide the mixture between the muffin cases. Sprinkle the top of each muffin case with chopped walnuts.
- Bake for 15 to 20 minutes, until muffins spring back when touched gently in the middle. Allow to cool in the tin for five minutes before turning out onto a wire rack to cool completely.
Make sure to browse our recipe archives for more great meal ideas and treats to try.