When my eldest son was a baby, I used to sit him in a shopping trolley and feed him grapes while whizzing through the supermarket aisles. He was so happy and I was secretly high-fiving myself for finding something that kept him so content while shopping. This was until an old lady at the checkout gently said to me, “Darling, you’re feeding your baby grapes. Grapes! He could choke.”
Needless to say, I ripped the grape my son was about to pop into his mouth from him and there were lots of screams. But at least he didn’t choke! Here are some of the most common choking hazards lurking in your home. Oh and for the record, if you slice grapes length-ways you remove the choking hazard.
Coins and more
Coins, pen caps, bean bag filling, buttons, magnets and list goes on! The general rule is, if it’s small, circular or hard, pick it up off the floor. Babies love to taste everything they find and sometimes, it can be a danger to them.
Need some toddler behaviour advice? Our Parent School toddler experts can help. Click to find out more or book a one-on-one session.