These spooky Halloween cupcakes couldn’t be easier to make and the kids will love helping you decorate them too! You can be as creative as you like when decorating these Halloween cupcakes and you can find toy spiders or bats along with other spooky creatures at most variety stores or your local supermarket.
- Makes: 12 cupcakes
- Prep time: 60 minutes
- Cooking time: 20 minutes
- Total time: 1 hour and 20 minutes
Halloween cupcakes ingredients
- 125 grams butter – softened
- ⅔ cup caster sugar
- 1 ½ cups self-raising flour
- ½ cup milk
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 eggs
- 125g butter – softened
- 2 1/2 cups icing sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Orange food dye
- Black writing icing pen
- Toy bats/spiders
- Silver cachous
- Preheat your oven to 180°C and line a 12-hole muffin tray with paper cases.
- Place the softened butter, caster sugar, self-raising flour, milk, vanilla extract and eggs into the bowl of an electric mixer and mix on a low speed for 1 minute or until the mixture has just combined. Increase to a medium-high speed and mix for a further 2-3 minutes or until the mixture is pale and smooth.
- Remove the bowl for the mixer stand and divide the mixture between the prepared paper cases.
- Bake the cupcakes for 18 – 20 minutes or until cooked through when tested with a skewer.
- Carefully remove the cupcakes from the oven and allow them to cool in the tin for 5 minutes before carefully transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.
- To make the buttercream, place the softened butter, icing sugar and vanilla extract into the clean bowl of an electric mixer and mix until pale and creamy. Add a couple of drops of orange food dye and continue to mix on a medium speed until you get the desired colour.
- Transfer the buttercream to a piping bag and ice the top of your cooled cupcakes.
- Decorate your iced cupcakes as desired using a black writing icing pen to create spiderwebs and use toy spiders/bats/silver cachous to decorate.