Bringing the Christmas trees to the table is this fun and festive recipe for pretzel and chocolate trees nestled deep in a chocolate cupcake. So good we think even Father Christmas would agree!
Take your Christmas cupcake to the next level with chocolate Christmas trees, coconut snow and 100s and 1000s fairy lights – a brilliant Christmas makeover for any cupcake this season.
120g butter, melted
½ cup milk
½ cup caster sugar
1 cup self-raising flour
3 tablespoons cocoa
1 teaspoon baking powder
2 cups icing sugar
1/3 cup desiccated coconut
12 pretzel sticks
150g white chocolate melts
green gel food colouring
100s and 1000s
piping bag or zip-lock bag
- Preheat the oven to 170°C. Line a 12 hole muffin tray with patty pans.
- Using an electric mixer and a large bowl, add all the cake ingredients – butter, milk, caster sugar, flour, cocoa, baking powder and eggs – to the mixing bowl.
- Beat all ingredients together until well combined and smooth.
- Spoon the cake mixture into the patty pans. Fill each liner to around the half way mark. Bake for 15 minutes or until they spring back when lightly touched in the centre.
- Leave in the tin for a minute or two before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Melt the chocolate in a heat proof bowl using the microwave. Heat it bursts of 20 seconds, stirring between each one until chocolate is melted enough to stir silky smooth and lump free. Be careful not to overheat it.
- Add a few drops of green gel food colouring, mix until colour is well combined. Transfer to a piping bag or small zip-lock bag.
- To make the Christmas trees, line a baking sheet with baking paper and line up a pretzel stick for each cupcake. It’s a good idea to have a few extras, just in case! Make a tiny snip in the corner of the piping bag and pipe chocolate across the top half of the pretzel stick to make a tree shape. Quickly sprinkle 100s and 100s over so they stick. Refrigerate to set.
- Make the icing by adding a few tablespoons of water to the icing sugar and mixing. Add extra water to reach a just spreadable consistency, a tablespoon at a time. Spread each cupcake with icing and quickly top with a sprinkle coconut.
- Carefully peel each tree off the baking paper. Marvel at your efforts, don’t they look great?!
- Insert a Christmas tree into each cupcake and they’re ready to eat. Merry Christmas!
Make sure to browse our recipe archives for more great meal ideas and treats to try.