Woolworths recalls Halloween toy that could be hazardous or deadly to kids

Woolworths and Safeway have announced a nationwide recall of Halloween LED spinning wand toys after discovering possible dangers to children.

The products under the recall are the Halloween Ghost and Halloween Pumpkin Spinning LED Wands.

Sold at Woolworths and Safeway stores across Australia between 28 September 2016 and 18 October 2016, the toys can crack open when dropped, exposing the button batteries that power the wands.

An average of 20 children a week across Australia are admitted to emergency rooms after ingesting button batteries. Some face multiple surgeries, others die.

Button battery danger

We’ve written extensively about the dangers of button batteries before. Most recently, major retailers including Woolworths have pledged to adopt a new industry code intended to reduce the number of children injured or killed after ingesting button batteries.

The industry code is voluntary, but CHOICE spokesperson Tom Godfrey says regulators need to get involved. “This latest issue is yet another reminder of why it’s vital that the federal government acts to reduce the number of children ending up in emergency departments across the country having swallowed a button battery.”

Woolworths has asked that customers return the toys immediately for a full refund.  Any questions can be directed to their customer service number on 1800 103 515.

Subscribe to Babyology

Our email newsletters keep you up to date with what’s happening on Babyology.

We also have special newsletter-only offers and competitions that are exclusive to Babyology subscribers.

Sign up below:

  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

Send this to a friend