Do you know someone who is expecting their first child? Then make sure you share this with them. They will be so grateful that you did.
What is the best piece of parenting advice you have received? This is the question that Extra Storage Space asked a panel of parents for their video “10 Things I Wish I’d Known Before Having a Baby”. The answers are honest; the advice is bang on; and the emotions these parents share will capture your heart.
Don’t have time to watch the video? Let me break it down for you:
10. Do what works for you.
9. Get on a schedule. Schedule is key to sleep.
8. Parenting is hard… sometimes you need to take a break.
7. Instead of moulding your children to who you want them to be, discover who they are. And let them be.
6. Be prepared for the unexpected.
5. Make room for the baby – and all of their toys.
4. Keep those little things, like baby clothes – don’t give them all away. Soon memories will be all that you have left.
3. Be grateful for your kids – all the unexpected chaos, the poop, the spit. And be grateful for everything they teach us.
2. Don’t be too hard on yourself. This is a massive change in your life and you are going to feel deep deep emotions on either side of the spectrum. This is okay.
1. The one thing you can’t prepare for? All the love. Be prepared to love something more than you ever thought you could. Because you haven’t before. And it will be the best thing you have done in your entire life.
I couldn’t put it better myself. How about you – what would you add to the list of advice to tell new parents?