New mum burned in freak kitchen accident issues warning to other parents

Molly Landis

New mum Molly Landis was terribly burnt in a freak kitchen accident last week, but she’s incredibly grateful that things didn’t turn out much, much worse.

Kitchen explosion

The usually private Molly took to Facebook to share her story, and warn other parents to keep their babies far from harm’s way.

Molly was in her kitchen on Tuesday, when her stove’s burner exploded.

The shock explosion sent a fire ball hurtling towards the new mum, burning her face, neck and chest terribly. The accident prompted Molly to issue a public warning – and totally rethink her approach to child safety.

“I don’t normally post this kind of stuff or personal information but after sharing this story with close friends I am urged to share this story,” Molly wrote.

“On Tuesday I was involved in an accident where my stove burner exploded and sent a fire ball to my face, neck and chest. This caused open wounds and burns to my face and chest,” the new mum said.

 

“Guardian angel”

While Molly confirms the accident was frightening and painful, she’s thankful that she’d diverted from her usual routine on this particular day, ensuring her baby was not harmed too.

“Yes, this is horrible and painful but I haven’t been able to stop thinking about how lucky I truly am. As a new mom I often wear my sweet 4 week old in my wrap carrier (we know we all love being hands free especially with a needy babe.) On this particular night a guardian angel was watching over me and my baby because for the first time in her life she fell asleep in her swing and I wasn’t wearing her while I was in the kitchen,” Molly wrote.

The new mum, who usually baby-wears her now 4-week-old daughter as she cooks, quickly realised that a positive habit she’d adopted to keep her baby settled and comforted could have inadvertently put her closer to danger. She’s counting her lucky stars that, on this day, she didn’t have her tiny girl strapped to her chest and in the direct line of fire.

“The worst of my burns is to my chest- exactly where her precious little head would have been laying if she were in her carrier,” Molly wrote, obviously thanking her lucky stars that she was the only person injured in the accident.

Sharing a message

“The point of my message is to pleaseeeee be cautious of the activities we do while wearing our babies! So grateful she wasn’t near the explosion,” the relieved mum wrote.

These kinds of freak events can happen under all kinds of circumstances, without warning and are not the domain of baby-wearing parents at all.

Molly could never have anticipated the awful accident.

It’s simply not her fault and she intuitively kept her baby safe, without even realising it.

It’s obvious, however, that Molly felt compelled to process the events and ‘what-ifs?’ by warning others and is now understandably hyper-aware of her baby’s safety.

Facing criticism

Sadly, in trying to warn others, Molly faced some harsh criticism for having her child in the kitchen with her at all.

Some perfect Facebook parents were borderline abusive of the new mum, and she later posted to clarify that this was indeed a freak accident caused by an equipment malfunction.

“I knew I was going to receive rather harsh backlash from many people but knowing there are other mom and dads out there that would benefit from hearing this story meant much more to me. Although this message was cautioning people about baby wearing in the kitchen, I’d also like to caution many of the critics that suggested it would be smarter or less of a danger or common sense to “put the baby in a bouncer or swing in the kitchen”… this was an explosion,” Molly wrote.

“The type of accident that would have caused harm/burns to my child from anywhere in the kitchen not just if she were being worn on my chest. Quite frankly we are lucky the whole apartment didn’t go up in flames and that both our lives were spared. So while we are very quick to judge let’s remember we all make mistakes, we are all human and even those with the best intentions have moments of weakness.”

Molly Landis

 

We hope Molly recovers quickly and commend her for sharing her experience and trying to save other parents (and babies) from similar injuries.

Safety first

If you’re concerned about optimal safety when baby-wearing in the kitchen, here are some guidelines to keep in mind:

  • If you wouldn’t take part in an activity whilst pregnant, avoid it while wearing your baby.
  • It’s best not to wear baby while cooking with heat or working with sharp or hot liquids or objects.
  • Be mindful of what your baby can reach whilst in the baby carrier – especially when you turn to grab something else and little hands are exploring.
  • Avoid or be super careful drinking hot drinks whilst wearing your baby.
  • Be careful when navigating doorways and other obstacles – your outer perimeter is obviously a little more generous with baby on board!

 

Subscribe to Babyology

Our email newsletters keep you up to date with what’s happening on Babyology.

We also have special newsletter-only offers and competitions that are exclusive to Babyology subscribers.

Sign up below:

  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

Send this to a friend