Hold the front page! Disney has finally released the trailer for the Emma Watson-helmed new version of Beauty and the Beast and we are equal parts delighted and startled.
The film looks exciting, scary and true-to-form and we’re fairly sure it goes a long way toward preserving the integrity of both the animated favourite and French fairytale classic.
Tale as old as time
Here’s what we know about the film, so far.
- Beauty and the Beast is due to open on March 17, 2017.
- The characters really do resemble those in the 1991 animated classic. Phew!
- The sets and CGI look fantastic.
- Emma Watson plays Belle (as you can see!)
- Dan Stevens aka Matthew Crawley of Downton Abbey plays the Beast.
- It’s directed by Twilight director, Bill Condon.
- The new version most definitely will be a musical, with some familiar songs and new ones too.
- It also stars Luke Evans, Kevin Kline, Josh Gad, Ewan McGregor, Stanley Tucci, Gugu Mbatha-Raw, Audra McDonald, Ian McKellen and Emma Thompson.
Spoiler alert. If you haven’t seen the original, here’s a little taste. If you have, you should be singing along from the 22 second mark…
Here’s the Angela Lansbury version featured within the film.
And the Celine Dion version from the bestselling soundtrack.
Did you know that they asked Peabo Bryson to sing with Celine Dion because she was relatively unknown and they wanted to use someone with a high profile to carry the track? It’s totally true. Beauty and the Beast made Celine Dion an international star.
We’re excitedly watching Instagram for further updates and can not wait to be screen-side and popcorn-laden in March 2017.
Here’s a little bit more of a taste of what’s to come:
View this post on Instagram
#EmmaWatson and Kevin Kline are a fairytale family in this exclusive #BeautyAndTheBeast photo. ❤️✨ In #Disney's animated version of the film, Belle is a big fan of reading while her father, Maurice, is an inventor. For the new live-action remake, that's changing in a BIG way. Click the link in our bio for all the details. 📷: Laurie Sparham/Disney