A woman has issued a heartbreaking warning to all parents after her friend’s 14-week-old daughter suffocated in her sleep while wearing a headband.
A warning to all parents
In an utterly heart-wrenching message posted to Facebook, Leanne Wilson warned parents of the dangers of headbands and other baby fashion accessories, after the headband her friend’s baby had been wearing slipped off her head and covered her nose and mouth, obstructing the baby’s airway. According to her post, the post mortem revealed ‘death due to suffocation asphyxiation’.
Ms Wilson’s post was shared over 80,000 times before being removed.
Ms Wilson, from Glasgow, says she shared the post on her friend’s behalf to warn others of the dangers of baby fashion accessories like headbands.
“She had left baby holly sleeping for only 30 mins whilst she showered and changed and forgot 2 remove her headband and is utterly devistated (sp)” she shares.
Leanne also explains how the frantic mother thought her baby was sleeping in her carry cot after a long walk.
“When she came to check on her she had the bow headband down over her wee nose and mouth and wasn’t moving.. she had passed away.”
Remember the safe sleep guidelines
Our hearts absolutely break for baby Holly’s mum – just one moment of inattention/forgetfulness/busyness and her world has changed forever. Since she wants other parents to know of the dangers of headwear like headbands on babies, in her honour, here are the current safe sleeping guidelines from Red Nose.
Safe sleep guidelines:
- Sleep baby on back
- Keep baby’s head and face uncovered
- Keep baby smoke free before and after birth
- Use a safe sleeping environment both night and day
- Position baby’s feet at the bottom of the cot
- Ensure bedclothes are tucked in securely so bedding is not loose, or place baby in a safe sleeping bag
- Ensure there are no doonas, quilts, loose bedding or fabric, pillows, lambswool, bumpers or soft toys in the cot
- Sleep baby in a safe cot in parent’s room
- Breastfeeding can lower your baby’s risk of sudden infant death
Red Nose also suggest that parents keep baby’s head uncovered at all times when they are indoors – no head coverings including bonnets, beanies, hats, hoodie or hooded clothing.
Nothing can bring back precious little Holly, but hopefully it is some small consolation to Holly’s mum that her message is being shared so far and wide and that information about safe sleeping for babies is being discussed more openly, thanks to her.
For more information about safe sleeping for babies, visit Red Nose (formerly SIDS And Kids Australia).