While we appreciate a gorgeous family photo as much as the next snapshot-loving person, we have to admit that we love the idea of taking portraits to the next level, too.
Luckily for us there are a multitude of clever creatives shuffling about the virtual corridors of Etsy.
Not only are they encouraging us to amp things up in the portrait stakes, they’re capturing families across the globe in illustrated style, creating beautiful keepsakes that will take pride of place on lounge room walls for years to come.
The great thing about these portraits is that not only are they super personal, you can commission one every year and frame yourself a unique family history.
Here’s ten great places to get started:
1. South Australian local Anna Spilsbury will sketch and then paint your family, perfectly preserving their cuteness for posterity. Send her a snap, let her do her magic and a few weeks later your gang will arrive in the post, ready to frame! Order yours via Anna Spilsbury Design
2. This portrait is hand-drawn and digitally coloured, then sent to you as a digital file so you can print it in the size you prefer. Snap yours up at Etsy store Mossy Rocket where you’ll find other gorgeous personalised art that might tickle your fancy.
3. Get your whole gang lined up, snap a shot and send it on to Jesses Mess to be transformed into a family portrait to treasure. This one is done in ink and watercolour and the hard copy will be sent to you, once complete. Commission yours at Jesses Mess on Etsy.
4. Lili’s lovely family portraits are available as a digital file you can download yourself, or you can request for it to be printed before it’s sent off to you. Commission one for your family at Lili Di Prima.
5. The Simpsons-loving types in your family may just pee their pants a little bit, when they get an eyeful of this ridiculously great Simpson’s inspired print. Order your own at Etsy favourite, Simps Art.
6. Commission Clare and she’ll craft a beautiful portrait of your gang and send you the digital file for printing at your preferred outlet, once it’s ready. Clare also does pet portraits, invitations and other personalised paper-y things. Order yours or find out more at Clare Vacha’s Etsy shop.
7. Kadie has a worldwide following and it’s easy to see why. She specialises in custom portraits and personalised artwork and will create and mail a hard copy of the finished product to you. Order your portrait from Kadie at Henry James Paper Goods.
8. Kristen’s family portraits are full of colour and warmth. She can print your commissioned portrait on archival paper, or mount in on a decorative block of wood, if you prefer. Kristen also does other personalised artwork and stationery. Find out more about her work at lux and trip.
9. California artist Ink Lane Design creates adorable family portraits, but will also capture your house (or horse!) or other pet/s in illustrated style. We spied some lovely stationery and cute mugs in her Etsy shop too. Head to Ink Lane Design to find out more.
10. Clever Rachel is poised to translate that favourite family photo into something illustrated and sweet. Once commissioned and confirmed, she’ll print and post your portrait to you. Then you just need to frame, hang, stand back and marvel! Get in touch with her at her Etsy shop, Citrus and Mint Gifts.
As you can see, there is something to suit every taste, situation and budget when it comes to custom portraits. All you need is a favourite picture and some time to chat to your Etsy artist about what would work best for your family.
Who wouldn’t be delighted to see their own family immortalised so beautifully and smiling back from the living room wall?!