Medela is reminding parents that they’ve voluntarily recalled a number of their popular products, citing concerns that the power supply for some of these breast pumps may pose a risk of electrocution.
A problem with the power supply
This recall was initially issued back in 2016, but Medela has the recall notice front-and-centre on their website, reminding parents once again that the components of some units are faulty and should not be used.
“Medela has decided to undertake an urgent voluntary recall of a detachable wall plug, which is a component part of the AC power supply for certain Medela breast pumps,” the company says in its recall reminder statement. “In rare cases, the detachable wall plug could break exposing 2 metal terminals and creating a risk of electric shock.”
Sold separately and with breast pumps
The AC power supplies are sold separately AND also come in the box with the Medela Swing, Medela Swing Maxi and Medela Freestyle breast pumps.
Affected product numbers
- AC Power Adapter Product Number 099.0273
- Swing Product Number 030.0040
- Swing Maxi Product Number 040.0011
- Swing Essentials Product Number 030.0053
- Swing Premium Product Number 030.0060
- Freestyle Product Number 042.0014
The affected units are comprised of two parts – a detachable wall plug and the power adapter with the cord attached. The affected part can be seen below, on the right.
“Not all detachable wall plugs are affected,” Medela says. “There are three types, which can be seen in the photo below. Only the plug on the right is affected and it can be identified because it has no markings on its back. If the detachable wall plug has a white dot or markings on the back of it, then it is not affected and does not need to be returned.”
What to do if you have an affected unit
- Customers should stop using affected adapters immediately.
- Breast pumps may continue to be used with battery power only.
- Customers can obtain a new detachable wall plug by registering their details at www.medela.com.au/breastfeeding/electrical-safety-recall/power-adapter-registration or calling Medela Australia on 1800 787 345.
- The adapter, cord and pump are not affected by this issue.