These grim photos show why you MUST clean your dryer’s lint filter

Images of aftermath of fire in Paddington house

Clean your lint filter regularly. This family’s devastating experience proves that it’s non-negotiable. (Thankfully everyone survived this fire.)

“Clean the lint filter” ASAP

An Imgur user has uploaded a scary series of photos and they’ll have anyone with a clothes dryer at their place sitting up and taking notice.

The images, taken in November after a fire devastated a Paddington terrace house, show the damage caused by a raging fire that rushed through the Sydney home. The cause of this blaze? An unclean lint filter in the family’s clothes dryer.

“PSA Clean the lint filter of your dryer. My neighbour’s house was gutted by a fire that started in the dryer,” Imgur user ExpansionPack wrote, issuing a pre-winter warning to readers across the globe.

 

PSA Clean the lint filter of your dryer. My neighbour’s house was gutted by a fire that started in the dryer.

Very luckily, this family escaped the fire in their rented property, pretty much unscathed. The same can not be said for the house and belongings it contained, however. The home was completely gutted and these photos (check the album above) – especially those of the children’s rooms – will have you rushing to check your own dryer filter quick smart.

We’re so glad this family is safe.

 

Paddington house fire Paddington house fire

21 important checks for fire safe families

It’s the perfect time to double-check not only the safety of your dryer (if you have one) but other appliances and general fire safety around your home. Here’s some great places to begin:

  1. Make sure your smoke alarms are working – test them each month.
  2. Have a fire escape plan. It’s surprising that many families never consider this and it’s a life saver.
  3. If you use portable heaters, keep them away from furniture, curtains and bedding.
  4. If you’re drying clothing in front of a heater or fireplace, allow a 1 metre distance from the heat source.
  5. Don’t use your oven as a heater.
  6. Don’t use heaters designed for outdoor use inside.
  7. Use power boards carefully – don’t overload them as a fire can start. Same goes for powerpoint in general.
  8. Avoid using candles generally, if you can. If you MUST use them, monitor them closely.
  9. Keep lighters and matches out of reach of kids – lock them up for optimal safety.
  10. Supervise children around heaters, stoves and fireplaces at all times.
  11. Supervise pets around heaters, stoves and fireplaces at all times.
  12. Teach your children to STOP, DROP and ROLL – rather than run, if their clothing catches alight.
  13. If you have a fireplace, clean your chimney!
  14. Check all appliances for damaged cords and plugs. Replace as necessary.
  15. Check powerboards for damage and replace if necessary.
  16. Check electric blankets for damage or faults.
  17. Use hot – not boiling – water in hot water bottles – don’t overfill them and check them for damage or leak potential. Make sure you use a hot water bottle cover to prevent the rubber burning sensitive skin.
  18. Use heat packs with extreme caution – they can be hotter than you think and can even combust if they have had a lot of use.
  19. Be vigilant when using hair straighteners and irons – it’s so easy to forget they’re switched on.
  20. Brush up on your first aid skills – cool burns for at least 20 minutes under cold running water and seek medical assistance.
  21. Have an emergency plan if you DO have a fire – consider a fire extinguisher and make sure everyone knows how to call 000.

 

Paddington House Fire

Paddington: House damaged by fire. www.7News.com.au Report on 7 News at 6pm.#Paddington #7News

Posted by 7 News Sydney on Thursday, 17 November 2016


Is your home fire-safe?

Subscribe to Babyology

Our email newsletters keep you up to date with what’s happening on Babyology.

We also have special newsletter-only offers and competitions that are exclusive to Babyology subscribers.

Sign up below:

  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

Send this to a friend