UK mum Jodie Thomas has taken to Facebook to share a public health message after her four-year-old contracted a blood infection from a pair of shoes she tried on in a shop.
Diagnosed with sepsis
“Sienna Rasul, 4, fell ill one day after she went to the store and tried on shoes while barefoot,” Newsweek confirms.
“After she was rushed to hospital, doctors diagnosed Rasul with sepsis and attributed its cause to the bacteria in the shoes.”
Sepsis – also known as blood poisoning – is a potentially life-threatening reaction to an infection in which the body attacks its own organs and tissues.
Read more about family health:
- We need to talk more about this very common symptom of depression
- My child’s allergic to dust mites – what you need to know in case yours is too!
- The 6 most germ-infested items parents use every day
“Sorry for the gross pics”
Jodie shared images of Sienna’s very sore foot explaining that the simple act of trying on a pair of shoes sparked an infection that spread throughout her body.
“Sorry for the gross pics. For all parents please put socks on your children while trying new shoes on,” Jodie wrote. “I’m guilty of not doing it for mine and myself, but this can be the outcome; infection spreading throughout the body. You don’t don’t know whose feet have been in them before hand!”
****sorry for gross pics****For all parents please put socks on you're children while trying new shoes on. I'm guilty…
While Sienna was promptly treated and quickly back in fine form, Jodie wants to save other children from enduring the same trauma.
“Sienna has had one hell of an outing and thankfully, and touch wood, made a full recovery! Who would [have] thought trying new shoes on could make someone so ill. So with back to school shopping under way, carry a pair of spare socks!”
Always take socks
The day after the pair went shopping for shoes, Sienna began crying and complained of being in pain.
“By the next day it had spread up her leg and her temperature was raging,” her mum Jodie said, via The Daily Telegraph. “I drove her straight into hospital, she was shaking and twitching—it was horrible to see my little girl like that.”
“They said it was sepsis and thought they would have to operate. But the doctors have managed to drain all the pus from her leg and say the antibiotic drip will do the job.”
Thankfully Sienna is all better now, thanks to her mum speedy decision to seek medical attention.
Ask your doctor “Could it be sepsis?” if any of the following symptoms are present:
- Your child’s breathing is very rapid
- Your child is having shivering, convulsions or ‘fits’
- Your child looks mottled, pale or blueish
- Your child has a rash that doesn’t fade when you press it
- Your child is lethargic or difficult to wake
- Your child feels abnormally cold to touch