A mainstay on our spring and summer menu at home, zucchini slice is a fantastically quick dinner of the throw-together-and-bake kind. Better yet, it’s just as delicious cold and often makes its way into the kids’ lunch boxes.
This is an awesome basic zucchini slice recipe to have in your arsenal. Once you’ve tested the water with the kids, go wild and add grated carrot, feta cheese, corn kernels, heck, even finely diced capsicum if you’re feeling particularly adventurous – I assure you, it will all come up trumps and will be eaten with gusto!
2 zucchinis, grated (squeeze between paper towel to remove excess moisture)
1 large onion, finely diced
3 rashers of bacon, diced
1 cup tasty cheese, grated
1 cup self-raising flour
½ cup vegetable oil
salt and pepper
- Preheat the oven to 170°. Grease and line a 20cm x 30cm tin.
- In a jug or bowl, crack the five eggs and add the oil. Whisk to combine and set aside.
- In a large bowl, add the zucchini, onion, bacon, cheese and flour. Mix to combine, making sure there’s no lumps of flour.
- Pour the egg and oil mixture into the bowl. Mix to combine and season with salt and pepper.
- Tip the mixture into the prepared tin, spreading it out and into the corners with a silicone spatula.
- Bake in the oven for 35 to 40 minutes, until golden and set. Allow it to cool a little before slicing.
Serve the zucchini slice warm or cold with salad. Be warned though, kids will be back for seconds!
Make sure to browse our recipe archives for more great meal ideas and treats to try.