You’ve heard of lemonade scones, right? And some people make their scones with soda water. But how about cream soda scones?! I’m here to tell you that they are a thing. A delicious, quick and easy thing!
Here’s how to make your own batch of brilliance …
- Makes : 12
- Prep time : 5 mins
- Cooking time : 15 mins
Easy peasy cream soda scones recipe
- 3 cups of self-raising flour, sifted
- 1 teaspoon of baking powder
- 1 cup of brown cream soda soft drink
- 1 cup of thickened cream
- 1 pinch of salt
Preheat oven to 200°c or 400°F
- Mix flour, baking powder and salt together in a large mixing bowl.
- Pour in cream soda and cream and mix together with a knife until just combined.
- Pop dough onto a clean floured benchtop and press out until about 1 inch thick.
- Cut scones with a scone cutter or a large glass – dip in more flour so the dough doesn’t stick. Put your scones onto a greased tray. Brush the tops with milk.
- Pop into the oven for 12 – 15 minutes or until they start to go a nice golden colour.
- Serve with my fave – golden syrup and cream. Or jam and cream. Or lemon curd.
- Variations – for a scone that’s still light and fluffy, but not quite as sweet, substitute the cream soda for soda water instead.