Have you got beetroot to burn from a bumper veggie garden harvest? All those recipes for roast beetroot, beetroot dips can be pushed aside – cake is now on the menu!
A little like a muffin, a little like a cupcake, one thing I know for sure, this recipe is delicious! I can’t lie, chocolate cake is chocolate cake – no amount of vegetable will ever nudge it into the healthy category, but such inclusions can justify a second piece. Can’t it? You can choose to ice the muffins to sweeten them up, or leave them as is for a treat that’s not too sweet, but just right.
130g dark chocolate
350g of fresh beetroot bulbs
1¾ cups self-raising flour
¼ cup cocoa powder
1 tsp mixed spice
¾ cup brown sugar
180g butter, melted
1 tsp vanilla paste
optional: chocolate icing
- Preheat the oven to 180°C. Arm yourself with two cupcake / muffin tins, filling with 20 cupcake / muffin liners.
- In a heatproof bowl, melt the chocolate using the microwave, 30 seconds at a time. Stir between each burst, until smooth and silky. Set aside to cool.
- Wearing gloves to prevent staining your hands, finely grate the beetroot into a bowl.
- In a large mixing bowl, sift the flour, cocoa powder and mixed spice. Stir in the sugar.
- Stir in the eggs and butter. Gently fold in the beetroot.
- Add the melted chocolate and vanilla paste. Mix gently by hand until just combined.
- Spoon into the liners. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes or until a skewer inserted in the centre of a muffin comes out clean.
- Cool muffins completely on a wire rack. Ice with chocolate icing if your heart desires!
This recipe yields 20 small muffins or 15 larger muffins.
Make sure to browse our recipe archives for more great meal ideas and treats to try.