Ever wondered what makes food fun? One answer is a stick. I kid you not, one of my cherubs always pokes around steak on her plate. Thread that steak onto a skewer with vegetables and all is right with the world. No complaints, beef on a stick, loves it. Go figure. See how you can make your own beef kebabs (on a stick!) with this recipe.
Arm yourself with some bamboo or metal skewers and your family’s favourite vegetables and let’s get down to business. First step you want to get on to is marinating the meat – in an ideal world, you’d let this marinate all day long – around eight hours. But if you only have an hour, so be it – an hour is better than not marinating at all (in my opinion only, of course)!
1kg lean beef, cut into 3cm cubes
1 red capsicum
1 400g tin of pineapple chunks
1 large onion, cut into large squares
For the marinade
1/3 cup vegetable oil
½ cup low salt soy or tamari sauce
1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
juice of one lemon
1 garlic clove, crushed
- In a bowl, combine the vegetable oil, soy sauce, lemon juice, mustard, Worcestershire sauce and garlic and whisk together to combine.
- Place the cubed steak in a snap-lock bag and pour the marinade over the top. Squeeze out as much air as you can, seal the bag and let it marinate in the fridge for as long as possible.
- In the meantime, soak your skewers (if using bamboo ones).
- Thread the meat and your choice of vegetables onto the skewers. Reserve the marinade left in the bag!
- In a small saucepan, bring the remaining marinade to a boil and then reduce the heat, allowing it to simmer for 10 minutes. Set it aside. This will be used to baste the meat during cooking.
- Cook the beef kebabs on a preheated BBQ or large frying pan, turning regularly and basting generously with the cooked off marinade until all lovely and golden in colour – around 12 minutes. Enjoy!
Make sure to browse our recipe archives for more great meal ideas and treats to try.