Want 200 baby and toddler meal recipes at your fingertips? Come right this way, we have just the app for you – and a couple of recipes to give you a taste of what’s in store.
In anticipation of Annabel’s special Q&A session with Babyology on Monday, August 18, we’re letting you in on two delicious recipes from her app, Anabel’s Essential Guide to Feeding Your Baby & Toddler.
The popular app, which has 200 easy-to-follow recipes from first solids to toddler meals, has just been redesigned and updated. It has weekly meal planners, shopping lists, a kitchen timer, a notes function to customise recipes and an interactive speaker. It also has videos of recipes and tips from The Essential Baby Care Guide on everything from teething and reflux to developing hand-eye co-ordination and sleep.
It’s compatible with iPhone, iPad and iPod Touch and can be downloaded via the App store or Annabel Karmel’s website. To whet your baby’s appetite, here are two of the recipes you can find on the app. And don’t forget to join Annabel and Babyology for our live Q&A on all things children’s nutrition, meal times and cooking and at 12.30pm on Monday, August 18.
Mushrooms and Spinach Pasta
A tasty way to introduce mushrooms and spinach into your baby’s diet.
60g baby pasta
50g onion, finely diced
50g chestnut mushrooms, finely diced
1 clove garlic, crushed
10g plain flour
1/4 tsp fresh thyme, chopped
30g parmesan, grated
30g baby spinach, finely chopped
- Cook the pasta according to the packet instructions and drain. Melt the butter in a saucepan. Add the onion, cover with a lid and saute for eight minutes or until softened.
- Add the mushrooms and fry for three minutes. Add the garlic and fry for two minutes. Add the flour, and then add the milk, stirring until thickened.
- Add the thyme, parmesan cheese and spinach and stir until wilted. Stir in the drained pasta.
MAKES FOUR PORTIONS, SUITABLE FOR FREEZING
Salmon with Mashed Potato and Carrot
Fatty acids in oily fish are important for the development of your baby’s brain and nervous system.
200ml fish or vegetable stock or water
190g potato, peeled and chopped
90g carrot peeled and chopped
125g salmon fillet, skinned, cut into 1cm cubes
2 tbsp frozen peas
50g mature cheddar cheese, grated
1 tsp fresh dill, chopped
- Put the chopped potato and carrot into a saucepan, cover with the stock or water.
- Cook for about 10 to 12 minutes or until the carrot is just tender.
- Add the salmon and peas cover again and simmer for three to four minutes until the fish flakes easily and the vegetables are tender.
- Remove from the heat. Stir in the grated cheese and dill and mash.
MAKES FOUR PORTIONS