More cute than scary, these chocolate spider cupcakes are the perfect Halloween sweet treat. A feast for the eyes – as well as the tummy – they take very little time for maximum spooky impact!
A cupcake of dessert magnitude, we’re well aware this isn’t a healthy treat recipe. If you want to cut back on some of the sugar, try separating the Oreo biscuits and hold back a little on the icing.
For chocolate cupcakes:
100g butter, room temperature
¾ cup caster sugar
1 tsp vanilla bean paste
2 eggs, lightly beaten
1 cup self-raising flour
½ tsp bicarb soda
½ cup of milk
For the buttercream icing:
3½ cups icing sugar
150g butter, room temperature
2 tbs of milk
2 – 3 crushed Oreo biscuits (cream removed)
- Preheat the oven to 160°C. Line a cupcake tin with cupcake cases.
- Using an electric mixer, cream together the butter, sugar and vanilla until light and fluffy.
- Gradually add the eggs and beat until combined.
- Sift together the flour, cocoa and bicarb soda into the butter mixture. Add the milk and beat until combined.
- Spoon into the cupcake cases and cook for 15 to 20 minutes.
- Transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
- While the cupcakes cool, make a glue using a teaspoon of icing sugar and a drop or two of water, to stick the eyes onto the tops of the Oreo biscuits, set aside to dry.
- Cut the liquorice into legs and set aside.
- To make the buttercream icing, sift the icing sugar into a large mixing bowl. Add the butter and milk and beat until light in colour and fluffy. Add an extra teaspoon of milk if the icing is too stiff. Stir in the crushed Oreo biscuits.
- Spread or pipe icing onto each cupcake and gently poke eight liquorice legs into the icing. Top the icing (and legs) with the Oreo biscuit.
Make sure to browse our recipe archives for more great meal ideas and treats to try.
Don’t miss our our Spooky Halloween jelly worms in Oreo dirt and ice cream recipe and our Halloween mummy frankfurts recipe.