Stack them high and make them green! A fun start to Christmas day, create easy peasy Christmas tree pancake stacks for breakfast for the family to devour, delicious!
Make individual pancake Christmas trees or a big stack to take centre stage on the table, whatever takes your festive fancy. This recipe makes two individual pancake stacks, but if you’re after a short cut, you could always use a supermarket pancake mix and add a few drops of food colouring. Super quick and no fuss.
20g butter, melted
1 cup self-raising flour
¼ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
1½ tablespoons caster sugar
¾ cup milk
green food colouring gel
To decorate: icing sugar, mini M&Ms, star sprinkles, gold card, skewers or toothpicks
- First, make your star toppers. Trace a star shaped cookie cutter and cut out. Tape to a skewer or toothpick, or cut two slices to weave the skewer through. Set aside.
- In a medium size mixing bowl, whisk together the melted butter, flour, salt, sugar, bicarbonate of soda, milk and egg. Whisk until smooth and lump free.
- Add a few drops of green food colouring. Mix thoroughly.
- Heat a large frying pan to a medium heat. Spray a cooking oil and pour the pancake mix to create different sized circular shapes from small to large (note: achieving perfect circles is tricky!). Wait for bubbles to appear and flip over to cook the other side. Transfer to a plate lined with paper towel.
- On a plate, stack the pancakes to create a Christmas tree.
- Dust lightly with icing sugar and decorate with M&Ms and sprinkles. Top with your gold star and you’re done!
Make sure to browse our recipe archives for more great meal ideas and treats to try.