If you’re expecting a new bundle of love this year then you will be raising a Dog — that is according to Chinese astrology! But what does it mean to be born in the Year of the Dog, and how could your little one’s Chinese zodiac sign influence her personality? Read on.
2018 is the Year of the Dog
The two week festival of light and sound, known as Chinese New Year, will soon be upon us, and this means February 16 will mark the beginning of the Year of the Dog and the end the Year of the Rooster.
The Chinese zodiac moves in a 12 year cycle, and those born in 2018, 2006, 1994, 1982, 1970 and 1958 are said to be born under the Dog zodiac sign.
What it means to be a Dog
In Chinese astrology your little one’s birth year – and the animal this represents – can determine a lot about her future personality traits as well as how compatible she will be with the other people in her world.
Dogs are lively!
It seems being born in the Year of the Dog is a good thing. According to Chinese astrology, Dogs are destined to be lively, apt at communication, courageous and as loyal as your beloved furry family member.
Little Dogs are also thought to be independent, sincere and decisive, but they can also be serious, sensitive, conservative, stubborn and emotional. That said, it is believed they will not be afraid of any difficulties they face in life, and are destined to have harmonious relationships with others.
Dogs are said to be ‘born with a good nature’ and honest to a fault. Dogs are always ready to help others and do not care about their own interests. They are nice!
Best baby names for Dogs
If you are pregnant now and thinking about what to name your bub, Chinese astrology says you should pick a name that will balance out the missing energies in your baby’s year. The Year of the Dog is said to be lacking in the energies contained in water and wood, and as such a first name or a middle name directly related to these nature elements is a good choice. You may want to consider:
- For boys: River, Oliver, Basil, Benton, Elder, Rowan, Hudson, Bradley Marius, Adrian, Ford, Kai
- For girls: Rose, Willow, Jasmina, Cherry, Chloe, Clementine, Aloe, Briar, Daisy, Heidi
Dog good luck
Lucky numbers, colours and other symbols are a big deal in Chinese astrology. For your baby Dog, luck and good fortune will strike around these things:
Lucky numbers: 3, 4, 9
Lucky colours: green, red, purple
Lucky flowers: rose, oncidium, cymbidium orchids
Lucky directions: east, southeast, south
What about the other signs?
If your little was born before February 16 this year, then the year of her birth determines which of the 12 Chinese zodiac signs she belongs to, and the personality traits to go with it.
- Dog: 2018 – lively, apt at communication, courageous, fearless and loyal
- Rooster: 2017 – observant, hardworking, resourceful, courageous, talented and confident
- Monkey: 2016 – ambitious, smart, compassionate, fearless and optimistic
- Goat: 2015 – gentle, mild-mannered, shy, stable, sympathetic, amicable and kind
- Horse: 2014 – animated, active, energetic, funny and optimistic
- Snake: 2013 – intuitive, wise, deep thinker, hates to fail, determined and a strong communicator
- Dragon: 2012 – courageous, tenacious, smart, enthusiastic, confident and not afraid to take risks
- Rabbit: 2011 – gentle, quiet, elegant, skilful, kind and patient
- Tiger: 2010 – brave, competitive, unpredictable, self-confident and charming
- Ox: 2009 – diligent, dependable, strong, honest and patient
- Rat: 2008 – quick-witted, resourceful, versatile, kind, smart and lovely
- Pig: 2007 – diligent, compassionate, goal-driven and calm