There’s something almost too good to be true about making a perfectly delicious slice without refined sugars, lashings of icing or even butter (gasp!). Ready for some smug satisfaction to pack in the kids’ lunch box? Come discover this yummy slice recipe!
My only tip is don’t skimp on buying the cheaper brand traditional rolled oats when it comes to baking. You want that delicious, chewy texture in this slice and to achieve that, you want the Uncle Tobys brand in your trolley.
1 cup Uncle Tobys traditional rolled oats
375g dried pitted dates
¾ cup water
1 cup apple sauce
¼ cup honey
1 egg, lightly beaten
1 cup self-raising flour
½ cup pepitas
- Preheat the oven to 180°C. Cut the dates in half. Grease and line a 18 x 28cm slice pan with baking paper.
- Spread the rolled oats over a baking tray and toast in the preheated oven for 10 to 15 minutes. Shake the tray occasionally! Set aside to cool a little.
- Place the dates and water in a saucepan over medium heat. Let cook for five minutes or until dates are soft and the water has been absorbed. Transfer the dates to a large mixing bowl and add the honey and apple sauce. Stir to combine and set aside for 10 minutes to cool slightly.
- Add the egg to the date mixture and stir to combine. Add the toasted rolled oats, flour and pepitas, mixing until well combined.
- Spoon the mixture into the prepared pan, smoothing over the top with the back of a wooden spoon or a spatula.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until firm to touch and cooked through the centre. Let cool completely in the pan. Remove and cut into squares. Delicious!
Make sure to browse our recipe archives for more great meal ideas and treats to try.