Calling sweet tooths and lovers of all things strawberry, step up to the plate! A cake to feed a crowd, this strawberry sheet style cake is super sweet and super easy thanks to a few cheat moves along the way. Come see how you too can bake this strawberry delight!
A beautifully dense, moist crumb, this is a cake to appease the masses. It’s not a thick set cake by any means, but it is just right when dressed in delicious cream cheese icing.
450g strawberries (you can use frozen strawberries, defrost them on paper towel to soak up excess juice)
450g vanilla cake mix
¾ cup vegetable oil
40g strawberry flavoured jelly crystals
For the icing
60g butter, room temperature
115g cream cheese
1 tsp vanilla bean paste
3 cups icing sugar
1 tsp strawberry flavoured jelly crystals
2 tbs strawberry puree
pink food colouring and sprinkles (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 170°C. Grease and line a 22cm x 33cm tin.
- Gently blitz strawberries in a food processor or with a stick blender until pulpy in texture – you don’t want a thin puree – we want bits! You should have enough to set aside one cup of pulp for the cake mixture and two tablespoons for the icing. Top up with water if you don’t quite have enough berry pulp.
- In a large bowl, using electric beaters, beat together the cake mix, eggs and vegetable oil until well combined.
- Add the jelly crystals and the cup of strawberry pulp to the mix. Mix well. Add a few drops of food colouring to the cake mix if you wish to achieve a really pink cake.
- Pour the mix into the prepared tin and spread it out evenly. Bake for 30 minutes or until a skewer inserted in the centre comes out clean.
- Allow to cool completely before icing.
- To make the icing, combine the butter and cream cheese in a mixing bowl and cream together until it’s smooth in texture. Beat in the vanilla.
- Add the icing sugar a spoon at a time, beating well between each addition.
- Add the two tablespoons of strawberry pulp, the teaspoon of jelly crystals and mix well. Add a drop of food colouring (if using). Spread the icing over the cake and decorate with sprinkles (if using).
- This cake will serve around 10 people. Keep in the fridge, but do leave it at room temperature for half an hour before serving.
Make sure to browse our recipe archives for more great meal ideas and treats to try.