If you have a big family with a big appetite or a small crowd to feed, you’re going to want to add this winter warmer to your weekly menu plan. Filled with delicious tasty chicken, vegetables and topped with creamy mashed potato this baked chicken dish will warm hungry bellies in no time!
A glorious twist on a chicken pie (phew, no fussy pastry!) you can add any of your favourite vegetables to this recipe with ease.
1 tbs olive oil
1.2kg chicken thigh fillets, diced into bite size pieces
2 leeks, trimmed, washed and sliced
200g bacon, roughly chopped
250g pumpkin, cut into a large dice
250g button mushrooms, thickly sliced
½ cup water
1/3 cup plain flour
¾ cup thickened cream
1 cup good quality chicken stock
100g baby spinach leaves
salt and pepper
1.5kg potatoes, peeled and chopped
60g butter, cubed
milk for mash
- In a large saucepan, add potatoes and cover with cold water. Bring to a boil and simmer until tender. Drain and return to the saucepan.
- Add 60g butter and a splash of milk. Mash the potato with a potato masher, gradually adding more milk until smooth and creamy. Season to taste and set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C. Heat the oil and butter in a large frying pan over a medium to high heat. Cook the chicken (in two batches) for a few minutes each side until browned. Place in a large lasagne (around 4 litre capacity) baking dish. Cover with foil.
- Add the leek, bacon and pumpkin to the pan. Stirring constantly, cook until the leek has softened.
- Add the mushrooms. Cook until tender.
- Add the water to the pan and bring to the boil. Add the flour and cook, stirring for one minute. Gradually stir in the cream and stock. Bring to the boil and then remove from the heat before seasoning with salt and pepper.
- Place the spinach leaves over the top of the chicken.
- Spoon the creamy vegetable mixture over the top of the spinach so it wilts a little. Gently stir to combine.
- Top the chicken mixture with the mashed potato and bake for half an hour until golden. Check that the chicken is completely cooked through.
- Let the dish stand for around 10 minutes before serving – be warned, it retains its heat very well!
Make sure to browse our recipe archives for more great meal ideas and treats to try.