A cross between your children’s favourite pizza topping and a delicious savoury muffin or bread, Hawaiian pizza bread sticks are a lunch box hit. Cross my heart, what they lack in good looks, they make up for in deliciousness!
An awesome alternative to a sandwich, these bread sticks are guaranteed to be gobbled down by children. There’s no chance they’ll come back home in the lunch box uneaten!
2 cups self-raising flour
60g cold butter, chopped
2 tsp caster sugar
¾ cup milk
2 tbs chopped parsley
3 cups grated mozzarella cheese
100g shaved ham, chopped
450g can crushed pineapple, drained
½ cup pizza sauce
½ small red onion, finely sliced
1 small red capsicum, finely diced
salt and pepper
- Preheat the oven 180°C. Grease and line a 20cm x 30cm lamington tin with baking paper.
- Place flour, butter and sugar in a food processor and pulse until well combined. Transfer to a large mixing bowl.
- Make a well in the centre of the flour mix. Add the milk, parsley, ½ a cup of mozzarella, ham and the pineapple to the mix. Season well and mix to form a soft, sticky dough.
- Turn the dough out onto a well floured surface and gently knead it together. Gently roll it into a 20cm x 30cm rectangle and press it level into the prepared tin.
- Spread the dough with pizza sauce.
- Sprinkle with a cup of the mozzarella sauce. Top with onion and capsicum.
- Sprinkle with remaining mozzarella. Bake for 30 minutes or until turned golden brown. Stand in the tin for 10 minutes.
- Remove from the tin and cut in half lengthways. Cross cut each half into 3cm wide sticks. Delicious warm or cold – don’t forget a pot of dipping sauce!
Make sure to browse our recipe archives for more great meal ideas and treats to try.