For a café style breakfast at home, French toast is a super easy meal to deliver to the table. A special treat for those who prefer a sweet fancy pants brekkie, the kids will be suitably impressed – promise!
An eggy delight, French toast is a dish best served warm, laden with copious amounts of fresh berries, cream and a splash of maple syrup for extreme decadence.
3/4 cup milk
¼ cup castor sugar
1 pinch of allspice
1 pinch cinnamon
4 to 6 slices of bread
½ cup of thickened cream
- Have your toppings ready to go – berries washed and sliced, cream whipped, maple syrup at the ready. No time should be wasted between coming off the pan and devouring! Whisk the cream for a few minutes to become thick and fluffy. Set aside.
- Combine the sugar, eggs, spices and milk in a bowl and beat together to combine.
- Melt the butter in a large frying pan over medium heat.
- Gently dip each side of the bread in the egg mixture. Let the excess drip off before placing in the frying pan.
- Cook each side for around three minutes or until golden brown. Remove from the pan, place on a paper towel lined plate before serving.
To serve, stack as you would a pancake. Slice the toast and top with berries, a dollop of cream, a drizzle of maple syrup and if feeling particularly Masterchef-like, hit it with a dusting of icing sugar. Ooh là là!
Make sure to browse our recipe archives for more great meal ideas and treats to try.