Do you have a glut of chocolate Easter eggs still hanging around? If you’re keen to see the end of them – and their foil wrappers which seem to multiply – I’ve three ways to use those eggs up right now!
1. Hot chocolate drink
Not your average hot chocolate, this hot chocolate comes with all the bells and whistles and hits just the right spot for those who love a sweet drink. The more chocolate you use, the sweeter it will be.
plain Easter eggs
1 cup milk per person
marshmallows and sprinkles
- Place the chocolate in a heat proof jug and microwave on high for thirty seconds until it just starts to soften.
- In a large cup, heat the milk in the microwave for one minute and 30 seconds on high setting.
- Tip the milk over the semi melted chocolate and whisk to combine.
- Tip into a pre-warmed cup and top with marshmallows and sprinkles. Yum!
2. Chocolate fondue dipping sauce
If it uses fruit, it’s healthy – right? Use a big chocolate bunny to sweeten up a fruit platter for dessert, too easy!
200g chocolate bunny
1/3 cup thickened cream
fruit to serve
- Place the chocolate and cream in a microwave safe jug.
- Heat on medium high setting for one minute, stir. Repeat heating in 20 second increments until all of the chocolate has melted. Keep stirring until smooth and silky.
- Pour into a bowl and slice your fruit. Dip and eat!
3. Chocolate freckles
Now I know this is merely just disguising your chocolate Easter eggs, but they make fantastic cupcake toppers to have in the pantry for later!
plain chocolate Easter eggs
100s and 1000s
- Place the chocolate in a heatproof bowl. Microwave in 30 second increments on medium setting, stirring after each burst. Don’t let the chocolate seize!
- Using a teaspoon, cover the base of each cupcake liner with chocolate, tapping it on a bench to level it out. Tip a teaspoon or two of 100s and 100s over the top and shake to cover (the excess will pour off).
- Pop in the fridge to set. Remove from the cases when set and devour! Or leave for baking later, willpower allowing …
Make sure to browse our recipe archives for more great meal ideas and treats to try.