Ready to give your chocolate cupcakes a Christmas overhaul? Give them a reindeer edge with some cute cupcake decorating know-how and please the kids to no end!
A delicious, ever-so-chocolatey chocolate cupcake recipe, these reindeer cupcakes are a delicious festive sweet treat.
150g dark chocolate melts
1 cup milk
125g butter, softened
1 cup brown sugar, firmly packed
1½ cups self raising flour
½ cup plain flour
¼ cup cocoa
2½ cups icing sugar
¼ cup cocoa
30g butter, softened
3 tablespoons of milk (more may be required)
red and brown M&Ms
small plain biscuits (shortbread is excellent)
- Preheat the oven to 160°C. Using two 12-cupcake tins, line with 18 paper cupcake papers.
- In a small saucepan, combine the milk and chocolate. Heat over a low heat, stirring until smooth and silky, set aside to cool.
- Using electric beaters or a stand mixer, beat together the sugar and butter until light in colour and creamy.
- Add the eggs one at a time, beating well between each one until just combined.
- Add the flours and cocoa, mixing until just combined.
- Add the milk and chocolate mixture and mix until combined.
- Spoon evenly between the cupcake papers. Bake in the oven for 15 to 20 minutes or until cooked through.
- Remove from the oven and let sit in the tray for a few minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.
- To make the icing, combine the icing sugar, cocoa and butter in a large bowl. Using electric beaters, beat together, adding milk until the desired consistency is attained.
- Spread icing over each cupcake, placing a pair of pretzels and a biscuit on each one straight after you ice.
- Using a small amount of icing in a zip lock bag (or use a toothpick), stick the eyes and nose in place.
Once decorated, they’re ready to eat! These are best decorated on the day you intend to eat them – no one likes soggy pretzels!
Make sure to browse our recipe archives for more great meal ideas and treats to try.